The three-story building, located in the heart of campus between Hackberry Lane and 6th Avenue, has been completely refurbished and will include new floor seating in addition to second-level overhead seating. The facility also houses team locker rooms, meeting space and video rooms, coaches’ offices, a weight room and a training room.
In its original capacity, Foster Auditorium served as home for intramurals, graduations, concerts, lectures and campus meetings. It also served as the home of several varsity athletic programs over the years, including the men’s basketball team until 1968 and the women’s basketball team, who played a few games there during the inaugural 1975 season before moving to what is now known as Coleman Coliseum.
The Crimson Tide’s volleyball and gymnastics program also practiced and competed in Foster Auditorium. The gymnastics team began competing in Coleman Coliseum in the late 1980s, while the volleyball program made the move in 1996 with the completion the Coleman Auxiliary Volleyball Extension (CAVE).
Foster Auditorium was named in 1942 for Richard Clarke Foster, president of the University of Alabama from 1937-41, and was the largest and most expensive of 14 buildings added to campus between 1936 and 1939 using funds from the Public Works Administration.